Letter of Recommendation
What really is a Letter of RecommendationsFrequently Asked QuestionsHow to request an LOR - Email ExamplesEmail Subject Line: Reference request for [Your Name]Example No. 1: Example No. 2Example No. 3Information to ProvideDownload Template:LOR - Generator
What really is a Letter of Recommendations
It is social proof! The recommender is lending you his social credibility !!!
Credibility Hierarchy of a Letter of Recommendation exactly like Social Proof
- Person [Who]
- Position [What]
- Relationship [In-person, engaged, evolved, updated]
- Duration of Relationship [Longer more impactful]
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you waive your right to see the LOR before sending it to ERAS?
- Yes. Highly recommended. It shows that you are confident and trust the opinion others have about you.
How to ask for the LOR?
- Schedule an interview with them. This may be difficult due to busy schedule in covid.
- Write an email and asking the mentor.
Can you use LOR from old experiences?
- Yes. However, keep in touch with the mentors.
- Keep them updated about your progress.
Who should you ask to write the LOR?
- Someone who knows you well. They should be able to describe the personal interactions with you. They should be able to give a good account of your skills.
- Someone who is well known within the field.
- Ask the mentor to send the Standardized LOR form along with the LOR document to ERAS.
Can you use LOR from another specialty?
- Best case scenario is to use LORs from the same speciality.
- But, you can use an LOR (1 maximum out of 3/4) from another speciality if needed.
Clinical VS Research LORs?
- A good balance is a 50-50 combination of both.
- All LORs should not be from Research as you are applying for a clinical job.
LORs from outside the US?
- Not recommended. Use LORs only from inside the US if possible as they know the system.
What do program directors look for in LORs
- Strong words used within the LOR (Examples Best applicant in my whole career, far superior to other applicants, extremely outstanding, top 1% etc)
- Personal Interactions.
How to request an LOR - Email Examples
Email Subject Line: Reference request for [Your Name]
Example No. 1:
Dear [Mr., Ms., Dr., etc.] (Name)
I hope you are well. I am in the process of submitting an application to (institution or company name). Part of the application requires a letter of recommendation from someone who can effectively elaborate on my work habits, skills and achievements. Based on our (time) of experience together, I believe you can help provide an effective, honest, and detailed letter on my behalf.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could write a letter of recommendation for me that can help emphasize the positive work habits I’ve shown since we’ve known each other. The deadline for submitting the letter is (date). If this deadline is too soon and you are unable to provide a letter by that time, please let me know as soon as possible. Additionally, if there is any information I can provide that will help you write the letter in more detail, I would be happy to submit it to you.
Thank you for your time and efforts on my behalf.
Example No. 2
Dear Mr./Ms./Prof.(Reference's Last Name)
I am reaching out to you because I am applying for a new position as (type of role) with (hospital name). Part of the application process is to provide letters of recommendation and I would greatly appreciate it if you could write a letter of recommendation for me.
I enjoyed our time working together at (hospital name) and I learned a lot from you when we collaborated on (project). With this in mind, I think you would be a great person to vouch for my skills in (key skill area). I'm currently working as (type of role) and this new job is closely related but will require the (key skills) I developed while working with you.
I will attach my current resume and the job ad to this email for you to review and if you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them. The deadline for submitting the letter is (date). I know you are busy, so if this is too soon, I completely understand. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are comfortable writing a letter like this for me.
Example No. 3
Dear Ms./Mr. (Recommender Name)
I hope you’re well. I’m in the process of applying to (school or company name) and want to ask if you feel comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation on my behalf.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as (your relationship to the recommender). As my (teacher/counselor/manager), I believe you could honestly and effectively vouch for my (list of skills or qualifications) I’ve demonstrated during our time together.
I appreciate you considering my request. The deadline for submitting the letter is (date). I’ve attached an updated version of my (resume/brag sheet), as well as the (job posting/admission requirements) and details on how to submit the letter. If you need any additional information, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your time and support.
Information to Provide
To give your reference context, you can include the following information in your request:
- A Resume. [reminder resume is highlights of your CV]
- An updated CV
- What you are up to now?
- What is the recommendation for?
- Why you're qualified for the position?
- Any relevant work habits, successes, or skills.
- The due date for the recommendation letter.
LOR - Generator
[Send this link with your LOR request so it is easier for your mentor to generate an LOR]
ERAS Letter ID:
Dear Program Director,
- Example 1: I am recommending (Name) for your residency program. I have known (Name) for several (months/years) and regularly interact with him/her as a mentor and a teacher. He/She volunteered to work with me as a Neurology Research Student/Associate. I have taught and supervised hundreds of students in my teaching and training career over the past few years and have found (Name) to be a very hardworking and determined student who not only learned the complex skill of research paper writing in a short span of time but also impressed me with other remarkable qualities he possesses.
- Example 2: I am pleased to recommend (Name) for your residency program. I am an adjunct assistant clinical professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and practicing Neurocritical care, stroke, and epilepsy specialist at Aurora St. Luke’s medical center.
- Example 1: His/Her clinical knowledge, time management skills and reliability impressed me the most.
- Example 1: He/She has worked on multiple research projects and he/she was the leading author where he/she led other authors which shows his remarkable leadership skills. He/She self initiated these projects and worked nearly independently. He/She actively took part in the literature search and review and was able to design and create clinically relevant lessons. He/She impressed everyone with his/her writing skills, positive mental attitude, passion for learning, great listening skills, strong ability to handle stress, and outstanding teamwork.
- Personal touch